Pretzel wrapped hot dogs make the perfect after-Thanksgiving football snack!
- 1 ½ cups warm water
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1 package active dry yeast
- 3 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 package vegan hot dogs (each cut into thirds)
- Sea salt (for sprinkling)
- For the ketchup:
- 1/3 cup cranberries
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- To prepare the pretzel dogs: In a large bowl, combine the warm water, granulated sugar and dry yeast, Let sit until foamy, about 5 minutes. Stir in the whole wheat flour until dough is ‘shaggy’. You may need to use your hands for this part, especially if the dough is sticky. If needed, add an additional 1/2 cup of flour to form a smooth, elastic dough. Remove dough from bowl and knead on a well-floured surface for 5-7 minutes. Transfer dough to an oiled bowl and let rise for 1 hour, or until dough has doubled in size.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and grease a cookie sheet, set aside. After dough has risen, turn out onto a clean surface and break into gold ball sized pieces. Roll each piece into a long rope by rolling with both hands from the inside of the rope, out to to the ends. The rope should be about 6-8 inches long. Wrap a rope of pretzel dough around each piece of hot dog, smooshing the ends onto the ends of the hot dog when they have been wrapped. Place pieces on the greased cookie sheet, sprinkle with sea salt and bake for 25-30 minutes, or until starting to turn golden brown. If desired, broil for 2-3 minutes to get an even golden and crunchy exterior.
- For the ketchup: place the cranberries into a microwave safe bowl and heat for 1 minute, until they start to become soft. When done, smoosh the cranberries until broken down, stir in the ketchup.