A savory vegan summer squash tart with homemade cashew based vegan ricotta!
- For the tart crust:
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 6 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 tablespoons cold water
- For the basil ricotta:
- 1 1/2 cups raw cashews (soaked for at least 2 hours and drained)
- 1/ 2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/3 cup water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1/4 cup fresh basil (chopped)
- 1 small summer squash (sliced into 1/4 inch thick rounds)
- Extra basil (for garnishing)
- Grease a small tart pan (mine was 8 inches round) with non stick spray and set aside.
- Mix together the flour, salt, sugar, olive oil and cold water. Mix together until a soft dough is formed. Form dough into a flat disc and wrap in plastic wrap. Refrigerate for 1 hour.
- While the dough is chilling, make the vegan basil ricotta by combining all of the ricotta ingredients except for the basil in a high powered blender or food processor. Blend until smooth and creamy, adding water by the tablespoon if additional liquid is needed to keep the mixture going. After ricotta is smooth, fold in the chopped basil and set aside.
- Remove the savory tart dough from the refrigerator and transfer to a well floured surface. Roll out into a 10 inch round that is about 1/4 inch thick. Transfer to the prepared tart pan and place the tart pan onto a cookie sheet.
- Par bake the crust at 400 degrees F for 5-7 minutes. Remove the tart crust and fill with about half to 3/4 of the ricotta mixture, spreading evenly into the crust. Top the ricotta with the sliced squash,
- Bake tart at 400 degrees F for 25- 30 minutes, until the squash rounds are soft but still slightly firm. Allow to cool slightly before cutting.