A brown sugar vegan peach pie, with plenty of juicy peaches and a sweet, flaky brown sugar vegan pie crust recipe made with coconut oil!
For the dough:
- 1 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 5 tablespoons solid coconut oil
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 tablespoons cold water
For the filling:
To make the pie crust:
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, combine the flour, sugar, and salt. Mix on low until combined. Add the coconut oil and olive oil and continue to mix on low until large crumbs start to form.
- Add the cold water 1 tablespoon at a time, until the mixture starts to hold together. The dough will start to hold together, but will not form a ball. Turn the dough out onto a countertop and form into a disc. Wrap tightly in plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least a hour.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Dust a countertop with flour and roll out the chilled dough into a circle about 13 inches round. Trim off any of the ragged edges to make a clean circle. Carefully transfer the dough onto the prepared baking sheet.
To make the filling:
- In a large bowl, toss the peaches with the brown sugar, vanilla, cornstarch, cinnamon and nutmeg until fully coated.
- Transfer the fruit mixture to the prepared dough and spread evenly, leaving a 2-inch border around the dough. Lightly brush the crust with vegan egg wash and sprinkle with 1-2 tablespoons of added brown sugar.
- Bake for 30 minutes, until crust starts to turn golden brown. Let cool slightly before serving.
- The solid coconut oil is essential. Make sure it isn’t melted or liquid or the crust will not come together properly!