A sweet and light version of the perfect vegan muffin, citrus almond muffins with a crunchy topping of sliced almonds!
- For the flax egg:
- – 1 tablespoon ground flax seed
- – 3 tablespoons warm water
- – For the muffins:
- – 2 cups all purpose flour
- – 1½ teaspoons baking powder
- – ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- – ½ teaspoon salt
- – ⅓ cup coconut oil
- – 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- – 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- – 1/2 cup Grapefruit Zevia
- – Juice and zest of 1 lemon
- – ½ cup almond milk
- – 1/2 cup sliced almonds
- Mix together the ground flax seed and water and set aside. This will form your ‘flax egg’ and gel up while you prepare the other ingredients.
- – Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line and grease a muffin tin and set aside.
- – In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
- – In a large bowl, beat together with a hand mixer the coconut oil, granulated sugar, vanilla, flax egg, Grapefruit Zevia and milk. Beat until combined and creamy. The batter with be a bit runny, but we still have to add the flour mixture, so it’s ok!
- – Gradually add in the flour mixture in three parts until batter starts to come together and no flour streaks remain.
- – Scoop muffin batter into the tins with a ¼ cup scoop, making sure the batter comes just about ⅔ of the way up the cups. Top each with the extra sliced almonds. Bake for 25-30 minutes, until the tops are golden and spring back when lightly touched.