- For the chocolate wafers:
- 1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
- 3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 cup powdered sugar or 1/2 cup agave nectar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 cup cold water
- 1/4 cup almond milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- For the whipped cream:
- 1 can coconut cream or full fat coconut milk
- 1/3 cup powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons rum (optional)
- To prepare the wafers:
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, combine the flour, cocoa powder, sugar, baking soda and salt. Gradually add in the cold water, almond milk, and vanilla extract, mixing until dough is formed.
- Remove dough from bowl and form into a log about 12 inches long and 1-1 1/4 inches in diameter. Roll the log of dough in parchment paper or plastic wrap. Chill for at least 2 hours or overnight.
- After dough has chilled, preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Remove dough from refrigerator and slice into 1/8-1/4 inch slices to make the wafers. Place onto 2 greased cookie sheets.
- Bake for 13-15 minutes, or until cookies are crispy. Set aside to cool.
- To prepare the whipped cream:
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a whip attachment, place the can of coconut cream, powdered sugar, and rum. Whip on high until mixture becomes thicker, about 3-5 minutes.
- To prepare the cake:
- In a greased loaf pan, place a layer of chocolate wafers on the bottom, top with 1/3-1/2 cup whipped cream. Repeat layers until all wafers and whipped cream are used.
- Freeze for at least 24 hours or until firm. Remove from pan and slice with a large, sharp knife.