- In a small, microwave safe bowl, melt the dark chocolate in 30 second increments in the microwave until smooth. Make sure you keep a close eye on it, as it can burn and overcook VERY easily. Each time you check on the chocolate, stir it with a spatula so it cooks evenly and remains smooth. Once the chocolate is melted, set aside.
- Remove your coconut milk from the fridge and drain off the liquid (this is the coconut water type substance) and scoop out the solid white part from the can of coconut milk. You CAN’T skip this step, or your frosting with be liquidy and not come together. Set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat together the coconut milk solids and vegan butter on medium. Beat the mixture together for 30 seconds, then increase the speed to medium-high and beat together until fairly smooth. If the frosting begins to break, let it rest for a few minutes to warm up or increase the speed of the mixer to ensure it emulsifies.
- Add the melted dark chocolate, powdered sugar, vanilla, and cocoa powder. Beat together on medium-high until mixture starts to come together and is smooth.
- Transfer the frosting to a bowl or container and refrigerate for 1-2 hours before using.
- Don’t forget to refrigerate your coconut milk beforehand! This will ensure it’s a solid, creamy frosting instead of a sloppy, goopy mess.
- If your frosting breaks, that’s ok! It’s easy to fix. Allow it to rest for a few minutes and come to room temperature or add more melted chocolate to ensure that it emulsifies completely.
Keywords: dessert, vegan dessert, frosting