Portobello mushrooms make for the perfect vegan bacon, especially when they are sliced thin and marinated in a combination of liquid smoke and maple syrup. Siracha mayo makes for a perfect condiment to these vegan sliders!
- For the bacon:
- 3 portobello mushrooms (rinsed and patted dry)
- 3/4 cup maple syrup
- 1/3 cup liquid smoke
- Salt and pepper to taste
- For the siracha mayo:
- 1 cup cashews (soaked for at least 4 hours and drained)
- 2–3 tablespoons siracha sauce (depending on taste)
- 1/4–1/3 cup water
- For the sliders:
- 6–8 rolls or piece s of bread (whichever you prefer)
- Siracha mayo
- Mixed greens
- To make the bacon: Stir together the maple syrup and liquid smoke in a wide, flat bowl, set aside. Slice the portobello mushrooms very thinkly, about 1/4 inch thick and place in the bowl of marinade. Allow to sit for at least 15-20 minutes, moving around the slices as necessary so they all are submerged in the marinade. You may have to marinade them in batched, to make sure they all get a chance to soak up the liquid. Place a pan over medium heat and spray liberally with cooking spray or melt a teaspoon of coconut oil in the pan. When melted, cook the mushrooms slices for 2-3 minutes on each side, until they are dark golden brown, but not burnt. Cook in batches and allow to drain on a paper towel after they have been cooked.
- To make the mayo: In a food processor or high powered blender, blend together the cashews, water and siracha, adding salt and pepper to taste and until mixture is smooth. Add more water is necessary.
- To assemble: Spread both sides of the rolls cut in half with the mayo and place the back and greens on them. Serve immediately.