Vegan spice cookies with a coffee glaze, take them to your next cookie exchange or keep them all for yourself! Recipe from The Vanilla Bean Baking Book.
- 2 1/4 cups all purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom
- Pinch black pepper
- 12 tablespoons solid coconut oil (170 g)
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 3 tablespoons water
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch + 2 tablespoons water
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Coffee Glaze:
- 1 cup confectioner’s sugar
- 2 tablespoons strong coffee (cold)
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 to 4 tablespoons almond milk
- Adjust an oven rack to the middle position. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
- In a small bowl, combine the cornstarch and 2 tablespoons water, set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, ginger, cardamon, and pepper.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a paddle, beat the coconut oil, olive oil, and water on medium until smooth. Add the granulated and brown sugars and beat on medium until light and fluffy, 2 to 3 minutes. Add the cornstarch mixture and vanilla and mix on medium until combined. Add the flour mixture and mix on low until just combined.
- Gather the dough, flatten into a disc, and wrap with plastic wrap. Chill for at least 2 hours and up to 1 day.
- Lightly flour a work surface and roll the dough to 1/4 inch thick. Using a 2-inch biscuit or cookie cutter, cut out circles. Gently slide a metal spatula underneath each round and transfer it to a prepared baking sheet. Place 12 on each sheet. Put the first baking sheet in the freezer for 10 minutes. After the dough has chilled, put the first pan of cookies in the oven, and then put the second pan in the freezer. Repeat with the leftover dough.
- Bake one sheet at a time 10 to 12 minutes, until the cookies are just beginning to brown on the edges. Transfer the baking sheet to a wire rack and let the cookies cool completely on the pan.
- For the glaze: In a small bowl, whisk the confectioner’s sugar, coffee, and vanilla. Whisk in the almond milk 1 tablespoon at a time. Add just enough almond milk to make a thin glaze. Using an offset spatula or kitchen knife, spread a thin layer of the glaze on each cooled cookie. Let the glaze set a few minutes before serving.