A savory spinach artichoke scone, made vegan with coconut oil and coconut milk! It’s a perfect addition to your morning coffee.
- 1 flax egg (1 tablespoon ground flax seed combined with 3 tablespoons water)
- 1/2 cup full fat coconut milk
- 11/4 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 5–6 tablespoons coconut oil (solid)
- 1/4 cup chopped artichoke hearts
- 3/4 cup fresh spinach (coarsely chopped)
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- In a small bowl, combine the flax seed and water, set aside for at least 5minutes to allow it to set.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the whole wheat pastry flour, all purpose flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Stir in the coconut oil and combine until dough starts to come together. Stir in the flax egg and coconut milk and stir until just combined. Fold in the chopped artichoke hearts and spinach until distributed throughout. Turn dough out onto a well-floured surface and pat into a circle about 1 1/4 inches thick. Cut into circles with a biscuit cutter about 2-3 inches in diameter and place on lined baking sheet about 2 inches apart. Top with paprika and fresh cracked black pepper.
- Bake for 13-15 minutes, until golden brown.