This Swedish coffee cake is a unique take on cinnamon rolls and is completely vegan. Prep and freeze this recipe for later or bake right away and enjoy!
For the dough:
- 1 packet rapid rise yeast
- 1/4 cup warm water (not too hot, don’t murder your yeast!)
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon fine grain sea salt
- 1/2 cup coconut oil (melted)
- 1/4 cup almond milk (or other non-dairy milk)
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
For the filling:
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil (solid at room temperature and broken into small pieces)
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
For the glaze:
- 3–4 tablespoons almond milk (or any non-dairy milk)
- 2 cups powdered sugar (confectioner’s sugar)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract (optional)
- In a small bowl, dissolve the packet of yeast in the 1/4 cup warm water and set aside for at least 5 minutes until it’s foamy.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, 3 tablespoons sugar, and salt. Slowly whisk in the melted coconut oil. Continue stirring and add in the almond milk, baking soda, apple cider vinegar, and yeast mixture.
- Knead the dough a little bit in the bowl until it comes together. Lightly grease a large bowl and set the dough aside in it to rise for at least 2 hours or overnight.
- Lightly grease and set aside a pie plate or cake pan. After dough has risen, roll it out into a long rectangle, about 16 inches by 8 inches.
- Sprinkle the rolled out dough with cinnamon, sugar, and the solid coconut oil pieces. Roll the dough up lengthwise, away from you, so as to create a large log.
- Place the log into the previously greased pan, coiling it around in the pan. Set aside and let rise for an additional 2 hours, at least.
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF and bake for 20-25 minutes.
- While the log is baking, whisk together the almond milk, powdered sugar, and vanilla to make the glaze. After removing the coffee cake from the oven, immediately pour the icing over the cake and serve.
Once you’ve let the rolled up dough rise (step 6), you can freeze it for later and bake when you’re ready to eat it.
Keywords: swedish coffee cake