Vegan danishes that are just as good as the original, including the prettiest sweet blueberries and a kick of ginger! Homemade with yeast and berry jam.
- 1/3 cup cashews blended with 2/3 cup water
- 2 1/4 teaspoons Red Star Active Dry Yeast
- 2 tablespoons cane sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup plus 3 tablespoons solid coconut oil
- 2 1/4 cups all purpose flour
- Powdered sugar (for sprinkling)
- Blueberry filling:
- 2 cups fresh blueberries
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 4 tablespoons cane sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon dried ginger
- 2 tablespoons water
- Blend together the cashews and water in a high powdered blender. Transfer to a small bowl and add the active dry yeast and let sit for 10 minutes.
- In a stand mixer using the dough hook attachment, combine the flour, cane sugar, and salt. Gradually add in the 3 tablespoons of solid coconut oil, mixing on low until the coconut oil breaks into small pea sized pieces. Add in the yeast/cashew cream mixture and continue to mix on low until combined and dough starts to form. Remove from mixer and wrap in plastic wrap, chill in the refrigerator for 90 minutes.
- After the dough has chilled, flour a surface liberally and roll the dough out into a 12 x24 inch rectangle. Scatter the remaining cup of coconut oil over the surface of the dough. Fold the left 1/3 of the dough over the middle and the remaining third over the middle. Roll the dough out again into a 12×24 rectangle and repeat the folding process. Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 1 hour. Repeat the rolling and folding process 2 more times and refrigerate one last time for at least 4 hours or overnight.
- After the dough has chilled, roll out into a 9×18 inch rectangle and cut out into 3 inch round circles. Repeat the rolling and cutting process until all the dough has been used. Transfer the rounds to two parchment lined cookie sheets. Freeze for 5 minutes. While pastries are the in the freezer, make the blueberry filling (see below).
- After the pastries have chilled, push down slightly in the middle of each danish with a measuring cup to make a circular indent for the filling.
- To make the blueberry filling: In a saucepan over medium heat, combine the blueberries, cornstarch, cane sugar and water. Cook, stirring frequently and mashing a few of the berries with a spatula, until blueberries have started to break down and the mixture begins to thicken, should take 3-5 minutes. Sauce should be thick and still have about 1/3 whole berries left. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Evenly spoon out the blueberry filling onto each danish, using about a tablespoon per circle.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes, until edges of the pastries are golden brown and done. Sprinkle with powdered sugar and serve. These are best eaten on the first or second day.