Vegan croissants made with coconut oil and no butter are the perfect chocolate filled vegan pastry!
- 2 teaspoons active dry yeast
- 3 tablespoons warm water (not hot!)
- Pinch of sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil (melted)
- 1 cup almond milk
- 2 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 cup coconut oil (solid at room temperature)
- 1/3 cup all purpose flour
- 1/4 cup almond milk
- 2 tablespoons agave nectar
- In a small bowl, combine the yeast, warm water, and pinch of sugar. Set aside for 5 minutes.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a paddle, combine the yeast mixture (the one you combined and set aside), salt, sugar, melted coconut oil, and almond milk on medium. Gradually add in the all purpose flour and beat on medium until a dough starts to form. If dough is really sticky, add 1/4-1/3 cup more of flour. Remove from bowl onto a well floured surface.
- Roll the dough into a rectangle that is 1/2 inch thick (it will be about 12 inches by 10 inches or so). Transfer to a small cookie sheet and chill in the refrigerator for 30 minutes.
- After the dough has chilled, we are ready to add the coconut oil package. This makes the dough form the layers and get very tender and flaky. Take the cup of coconut oil and knead in the 1/3 cup of all purpose flour. Form the coconut oil and flour into a small rectangle that is about 6 inches by 4 inches. I had to just use my hands to do this, especially if it’s a warmer day or your kitchen is fairly warm.
- Remove the chilled dough from the refrigerator and roll out into a rectangle that is 13 inches by 9 inches. Place the coconut oil rectangle into the bottom half of the rolled out dough. Fold the upper half down over the lower half and press the edges together. With the folded side to your left, roll out the dough into a 10 by 24 inch rectangle. Fold the bottom third up and the top third down, as if you were folding a letter. Repeat this rolling (into a 10 by 24 inch rectangle) and folding 3 more times. If the dough gets too warm or the coconut oil starts to melt, chill it in the fridge for 30 minutes and start to work with the dough again. After you have rolled out and folded 3 more times, form the croissants for baking.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Line 2 rimmed baking sheets with parchment paper and set aside.
- To form the croissants, roll out the pastry dough into a 12 by 16 inch rectangle. Cut into 3 equal lengthwise strips and then cut each strip into 4 squares, for a total of 12 squares. Take each square and slightly stretch it out with your hands (just a bit), place 8-10 chocolate chips in the center of the square, then fold the bottom third up and the top down so it overlaps. Pinch the dough together to seal. Place on the prepared baking sheet and repeat until all squares of pastry have been used. Lightly whisk together the 1/4 cup almond milk and agave nectar and brush the tops of each croissant with the mixture. This will give it that perfect golden brown color.
- Bake for 15-18 minutes, until the tops are golden brown.