Vegan apple cinnamon babka that is so fluffy, sweet, and filled with the BEST caramel apple filling! Dairy-free and vegan.
- 1 cup almond milk
- 1 package Red Star Platinum Instant Sourdough Yeast
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1/2 cups finely chopped apples
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup solid coconut oil
- Slightly warm the almond milk by heating over the stove in a saucepan for a minute or microwaving for 30 seconds to 1 minute. Almond milk should be the temperature of bathwater (not too hot and not too cold)
- Combine the warmed almond milk, Sourdough Instant Starter, and sugar in the the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the dough hook attachment. Allow mixture to sit for 5 minutes in order to let the yeast activate.
- After yeast has activated, add the salt, flour, cinnamon, nutmeg, and olive oil. Mix the dough on medium-low for 2-3 minutes, or until dough starts to come together and form a ball. If dough becomes too soft or isn’t coming together, add an additional 1/4 cup of flour and continue to knead. Continue adding flour just until dough comes together.
- After dough has come together, transfer to a clean bowl and drizzle very lightly with olive oil (using only 1/2 teaspoon or so of oil) and turn dough to coat the bowl and dough. This will prevent it from sticking while it rises.
- Cover bowl with a paper towel or kitchen towel and allow to rise in a warm place for an hour.
- While dough rises, make the apple filling by combining all of the ingredients together in a small bowl, except for the coconut oil. Set aside.
- Lightly grease a loaf pan and set aside, so it’s ready when you prepare the babka.
- After dough has risen, transfer to a flour dusted surface or countertop. Roll dough out into a rectangle that is 14 inches wide by 24 inches long.
- Spread the apple filling evenly out over the rolled out dough, leaving an inch or so around the edges.
- Take the coconut oil and break into small pieces, scattering them over the filling on the rolled out dough.
- Roll the dough up lengthwise, rolling the long part up away from you (you will be making a big, long length of dough).
- Cut the rolled up dough down the middle with a sharp knife, so you’re exposing a few layers of that apple cinnamon babka goodness.
- Braid the two halves together, with the cut side facing out. Cut the whole braid in half across the middle, so you have two big sections of dough.
- Place the two sections next to each other in the loaf pan. Cover with a kitchen towel and allow to rise in a warm place for an hour.
- After dough has risen, preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Bake babka for 25 minutes, cover with foil and then bake for an additional 10 minutes.
- Allow to cool before slicing and serving.
Keywords: vegan apple bread, apple cinnamon bread, babka recipe, vegan babka