Layers of sweet cocoa cake are layered with sweet vegan cashew cream icing!
- For the cake batter:
- 3 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon fine grain sea salt
- 3 teaspoons cocoa powder
- 2 cups non-dairy milk
- 2 tablespoon melted coconut oil
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- For the cashew cream frosting:
- 1 1/2 cups cashews (soaked for at least 4 hours and drained)
- 1/4 cup non-dairy milk
- 2–4 cups powdered sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly grease 2 8 inch round cake pans. Set aside.
- To make the batter, in a large bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking soda, salt and cocoa powder. Add milk, oil, vinegar and vanilla, and whisk until thoroughly combined.
- Divide cake batter evenly between cake pans. Bake for 30 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean. Let cool before assembling and frosting.
- To make the frosting: Combine all ingredients in a high powdered blender or food processor fitted with the blade, blend on high until smooth and creamy, adding a teaspoon of additional milk at a time until combined. Add more powdered sugar as necessary.