These Nutella donuts are filled with a creamy homemade vegan Nutella and are rolled in cane sugar for an extra hit of sweetness and crunch.
- 1 0.25- oz . package of Red Star Active Dry Yeast
- 1 cup warm water plus 1/4 cup additional water
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- ¼ cup plus 1 tsp. cane sugar (divided)
- 2 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon. baking powder
- 2 cups olive oil
- 1 cup cane sugar
- 1/3 cup homemade vegan Nutella
- In a small bowl, mix together the packet of yeast, warm water and 1 tsp. of sugar. Let stand until foamy, about 5 minutes.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the 1/4 cup cane sugar, all purpose flour, salt, and baking powder. Add in the yeast mixture and stir until dough starts to come together. Add in the 1/4 cup water and olive oil and stir until combined.
- Turn the dough out onto a well floured surface and knead until smooth, for about 5-6 minutes. If dough becomes sticky while kneading, continue adding flour to allow kneading to continue.
- Transfer dough to a well oiled bowl and allow to rise for 2 hours, until the size of the dough has doubled.
- After the first rise, shape the dough into 2-inch round balls, flattening as you lay them out onto a greased cookie sheet. Allow to rise for 15 more minutes.
- After dough has risen, heat the olive oil in a small dutch oven or large skillet over medium high heat, make sure the oil isn’t too hot or it will start to smoke. Fry the doughnuts in batches, 2-3 at a time for 2 minutes on each side, or until they are golden brown.
- Transfer doughnuts to a cooling rack over paper towels to drain. After all the doughnuts have been fried, roll them in the cup of cane sugar, then poke a small hole in one end, filling with a teaspoon or so of nutella each. Serve immediately.
Keywords: nutella donuts