These are the best homemade vegan biscuits. They’re made with olive oil and not vegan butter, creating the flakiest and fluffiest vegan biscuits!
- 2 1/4 cups all purpose flour
- 1 1/2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup almond milk
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- Preheat oven to 425ºF. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- In a small bowl, combine the tablespoon of cashew milk and teaspoon of coconut oil, set aside. We will use this later when the biscuits are ready to be baked.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, cornstarch, salt, and baking powder; set aside. In a small bowl, whisk together the olive oil, cashew milk and apple cider vinegar.
- In the large bowl with the flour mixture, make a well in the center of the mixture and pour in the olive oil mixture. Some will spill over the sides of the well, that’s ok! Stir together gently with a spatula until mixture is just combined. Make sure not to overmix the tough, or it will become tough and not rise properly.
- Sprinkle a work surface/counter top liberally with flour and transfer dough to the work surface. Shape the dough into a rectangle that is 1/2 inch thick. Sprinkle the top with flour and fold the rectangle into thirds, like folding a letter. Pat out into a rectangle that is 1/2 inch thick again. Turn the dough so the long side is facing you and fold again, turn, pat and fold two more times, taking care not to work the dough too much.
- Pat the dough again into a 1/2-3/4 inch thick rectangle.
- Using a circular biscuit cutter or glass that is 1 1/2-2 inches in diameter, cut into 2-3 biscuits, transfer to prepared baking sheet and repeat the process. Pat into a rectangle, cut out and transfer until all dough has been used.
- Bake for 20-22 minutes, or until tops start to brown.
- If you are looking for big, fluffy, biscuits, these are for you! If you want them to be a bit flatter for sandwiches or something, just pat them out a little thinner and they won’t rise as much.
- There isn’t any vegan butter in these, but the olive oil is a perfect substitute. I haven’t tried making these with coconut oil, so I’m not sure how they would turn out. The olive oil adds the perfect amount of moisture and fat to the biscuits, so I wouldn’t mess with it!
- I haven’t tried this recipe with gluten free flour, so I can’t speak to if it works, but I would love to know if anyone tries it.
Keywords: olive oil biscuits, vegan biscuits, easy vegan biscuits