A perfectly easy combo of sweet and salty! This vegan saltine toffee is the ultimate holiday dessert that has layers of homemade caramel, saltine crackers, and melted chocolate.
- 30 saltine crackers
- 1 cup vegan butter
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Sprinkles, for topping
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Line a rimmed baking sheet with foil (trust me, you NEED this step!) and spread the saltine crackers out onto the sheet. Make sure they are touching and dont leave a lot of empty space between the crackers. They won’t cover the whole pan. Set aside.
- In a saucepan over medium heat, combine the vegan butter and brown sugar. Whisk together the mixture and allow to simmer for 3-4 minutes, whisking every 30 seconds until mixture starts to thicken. Remove from heat.
- Pour the caramel evenly over the saltine crackers . Bake in preheated oven for 4 minutes.
- Remove from oven and sprinkle the caramel and crackers with the chocolate chips. Bake for 1 minute.
- Remove and spread the melted chocolate evenly over the crackers. Top with sprinkles.
- Allow to cool until solid, 1-2 hours. Break or cut into pieces and serve.
- Do not sub anything in for the vegan butter in the caramel! I tried this recipe with olive oil and coconut oil and neither worked at all.
- This can be stored at room temperature for up to a week, if it lasts that long!