Just popping in to wish you a happy Friday and show this quick+easy jam recipe for the weekend. I keep seeing all these quick and easy jam recipes around, and decided to finally try my hand at one. I was out of chia seeds and didn’t want to get sucked into the Whole Foods wallet stealing vortex of things you don’t need, so I subbed in ground flax seed instead! If you don’t want to use any thickening agents, process the apple mixture a bit more and turn it into a sweet red wine apple butter.
This recipe started out as just roasting apples for jam, but then I saw the half finished bottle of wine when I opened up the fridge and wondered if it would add enough sweetness to a jam situation..bingo, it did! After roasting the apples with some wine and processing, this jam came to life in less than 30 minutes. Feel free to add in a few rogue raspberries if you have them, I did, but if you don’t have any on hand, the recipe should still turn out fine.
I’m wondering if this would be perfect in a jam cocktail ( my girl Christina knows what’s up with these quick and easy drinks!), guess I’ll just have to try out a few rounds over the weekend!
Thank you to Duda Crunck Pak for providing me with all kinds of apples and snack packs to develop this recipe!
Red Wine Poached Apple Jam
- 4 cups sliced apples (depends on how smooth you want the end result to be, either peeled or unpeeled)
- 1 cup sweet red wine
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- pinch of salt
- 3 tablespoons ground flax seed
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup raspberries
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F, spread apples out in a large casserole dish and pour red wine over the apples. Roast for 20-30 minutes, or until apples are tender.
- In the bowl of a food processor, combine the apples, maple syrup, salt, ground flax seed, and vanilla extract. Blend until smooth, but with a few chunks remaining. Transfer into a covered container or jars and refrigerate for at least a few hours before serving.
hehe! Love to make jam just for the cocktail potential! 🙂
The Frosted Vegan says
You got it sister! 🙂
Arthur in the Garden! says