A sweet and tart strawberry shrub float, making the most out of the last of the summer berries and ice cream!
Well here we are, it’s Friday and I’m just now getting around to getting this strawberry shrub float recipe up and it feels like the week went by in a flash! After seeing just about everything Minneapolis has to offer over the holiday weekend (including brunch with this lovely lady), I came back full and happy, but with the realization that 1.) crap it’s September and 2.) I still haven’t eaten my fill of summer ice cream. Instead of taking spoon to mouth, I opted for a strawberry shrub float, because who doesn’t like the smallest bit of tartness with their ice cream?
If you haven’t heard of or tasted a shrub yet, this article gives a little overview of what exactly they are. Basically it’s like taking your favorite fruit, making a simple syrup out of it, and adding a bit of vinegar at the end to give it the slightest bit of tang. I was hesitant at first, who wants to drink vinegar? But, the last time I was visiting Minneapolis, I had a shrub cocktail at Tattersall Distilling that made a shrub lover out of me. The pungent tang of vinegar cutting through a normally too sweet simple syrup for me was a perfect mixer for the booze in my drink. While I know using shrubs in cocktails isn’t anything new, I wanted to plop in some vegan vanilla ice cream and try my hand at a float. Turns out, they are a match made in heaven!
I used this guide/not really a recipe from Food 52 to make my strawberry shrub, but you can follow any recipe to make your own. If you don’t have vanilla ice cream on hand (hands down, this is my favorite store bought brand), I’ve heard that Snixy Kitchen’s recipe for vegan vanilla ice cream is the best out there. I do love making ice cream, but sometimes store bought it just easier and curbs the craving just as fast!
If you make anything from the blog, don’t forget to tag them with #heartofabaker so I can see them!
Recipe adapted from Food 52Print
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup cane sugar
- 1 cup strawberries (hulled and thinly sliced)
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- Splash of balsamic vinegar
- 1 container of vegan vanilla ice cream
- 1 cup sparkling water
- In a small saucepan over medium heat, combine the water and sugar. Simmer and stir until sugar has dissolved.
- Add in the sliced strawberries and let the mixture simmer until the simple syrup turns red, about 15 minutes.
- Remove the saucepan from heat and take out the strawberries, saving them for later. Stir in the vinegars. Transfer the shrub to a small jar until ready to use.
- To assemble the float: In a tall glass, scoop out 2 scoops of ice cream. Top with 1/3 cup of the shrub mixture and1/4 cup of the reserved strawberries from the syrup making. Add your favorite sparkling water until mixture fills the glass and ice cream floats to the top. Serve immediately.