Oh tofu, how I have doubted you over the years. Your name suggests gross blocks of pressed soybean curd (blah, that word) with beyond bland flavor, but really you are the non-dairy answer to all a vegan’s creaminess prayers. Be honest, who is really craving tofu or thinking “Yum! I’m totes going to splurge on that block of tofu tonight! Curd for life.” I felt the same way as all other tofu naysayers, until I discovered that tofu is the absolute perfect substitute for creating a creamy bisque texture in soups like this vegan roasted red pepper and tomato soup or silky texture in desserts. Now I’m all about tofu in all the things!
Like every other woman, blogger, human on the planet, my favorite grocery store is Trader Joe’s. I know that everyone and their cat has been singing the praises of this grocery happy place, but seriously, they have the best things you never knew you needed and are cheap. My lovely girl in Colorado has nary a TJ’s in sight and paid me to bring a few of her favorite picks to California on a girl’s weekend trip. True friend love.
One of my absolute favorite picks from TJ’s is the Roasted Red Pepper and Tomato Soup. The soup is shelf stable, an easy meal, and super flavorful. Downside? My favorite soup is not vegan and not that great in the nutrition value department. That being said, I was on a mission, replicate my favorite soup and make it vegan. Done and done.
The silken tofu in this creamy soup adds just the right amount of say whhhhat this is vegan?! We simmer the veggies, get them sweating and break them down. Sprinkle the spices to jump it up to the next level and last, everyone is blended until smooth and silken. I took a bit of recipe guidance from Cookie and Kate on this recipe.
Get some cornbread croutons going on this bowl of goodness, it’s always a good idea. Bake up some cornbread, dice, spice, and bake until crunchy (Cliche, but TJ’s has the best cornbread mix on earth).
Bam, ma’am, you have dinner and a sauteed soup love fest on your hands.
- 1 (8-12 oz) jar roasted red peppers
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1½ cups chopped canned tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ cup water
- 4 ounces tofu
- ⅓ cup non dairy milk
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Cilantro and croutons, to garnish
- Caramelize chopped onion in ½ cup of water over medium high heat for 5-10 minutes, watching carefully. Add garlic, red peppers, tomato paste, tomatoes, paprika, and cumin. Cook for 5 additional minutes.
- Transfer ingredients to the bowl of a food processor or blender. Blend on medium to high for 1-2 minutes. Add tofu and non dairy milk, blend for an additional 2 minutes.
- Garnish with cilantro and croutons.
- Yields 4 cups soup. Will keep for up to 1 week in sealed container in refrigerator.