This post is sponsored by USA Pulses and Pulses Canada. Thanks for supporting the brands that make this space possible!
I’ve loved all kinds of nachos since I can remember. I distinctly remember some of the places with the best nachos on vacations, weekend dinners, and grabbing fast food lunches (Qdoba nachos take the cake for dairy nachos there). There is just something about digging into a big plate full of all my favorite foods, piled high into a mountain of crispy, crunchy, cheesy goodness. I mean, who doesn’t love a plate piled high with salty tortilla chips, cheese, salsa and, if you’re lucky, guac AND lots of salsa? Turns out that those big piles of dairy nachos don’t always love me back, but I never have to give up my nacho addiction, because I’ve found the perfect vegan nachos right here!
While I do still eat some dairy nachos from time to time (i.e. last Friday because it was the last day at my job!), I’ve learned that plowing through a plate piled high with dairy galore don’t usually agree with me in the long run. While I could consider giving up nachos altogether (NO THANKS), I’ve compiled all my favorite things into one big plate of nachos and deemed them the ultimate in vegan nachos. The best vegan nachos are going to have a little bit of everything, plenty of crisp tortilla chips, toppings distributed evenly throughout (don’t give me those dry chips with nothing on them!), spoonfuls of fresh salsa, and a good portion of spicy beans to give them a little heft. I don’t usually go for just any beans on my nachos, they need to be spiced, not plain, and warmed up enough with the rest of the nacho components. It’s a little like building the perfect outfit, you just have to have all the right pieces and everything comes together!
Don’t forget to sign up for the Half Cup Habit with me, an easy way to get a half cup of pulses into your diet three times a week! These vegan nachos are the perfect way to get two kinds of filling pulses into your day, chickpeas and black beans (lentils and dry peas are also part of the family!), while also getting your fiber and added nutrients. I love beans any which way, but I especially love squeezing them in on nachos and topping them off with my favorite salsa. Happy snacking!
The ultimate vegan nachos, loaded with black beans, spicy chickpeas, and all your favorite toppings! These are a winner for your next party, potluck, or family dinner.
For the beans:
- 1 tablespoon olive oil (affiliate link)
- 1 small onion (diced)
- 2 cloves garlic (chopped)
- 1 14 ounce can chickpeas
- 1 14 ounce can black beans
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Black pepper
For the nachos:
- 3-4 cups tortilla chips
- 1 cup of your favorite salsa
- 1/4 cup cilantro (chopped)
- Your favorite hot sauce
- 1-2 sliced jalapenos
To make the bean mixture:
- In a medium skillet over medium high heat, heat the olive oil (affiliate link). Add the onion and saute until soft, about 3-4 minutes. Add the garlic and saute for an additional 1-2 minutes.
- Add the beans, spices, salt, and pepper. Cook for another 3-4 minutes, until the beans have been heated throughout. Set aside.
To make the nachos:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spread the tortilla chips onto a rimmed baking sheet. Top with the bean mixture. Bake for 5-10 minutes, until nachos are warm and bubbly.
- After removing from the oven, top with your favorite salsa, chopped cilantro, additional hot sauce, and jalapenos. Serve immediately.