Once upon a time, I thought it would be a great idea to take my food pictures outside. This seemed like a cool new setup. Hey, look, I can use that sunlight and make it look all al fresco dining like, right? And then the sun went away. As soon as I hauled everything over the river and through the woods (ok down the stairs and out the door, same thing) the sun decided “Nope, I’m out for now!” and shied away behind a big fluffy cloud. Keep in mind this was the same sun that burned by poor pale skin into oblivion during a lady lunch earlier in the day. Not to be defeated, I went ahead and shot pictures pf this pan of vegan s’mores cake chocolate laden goodness, hoping the outdoorsy touch would help coax my pictures into a fresh perspective of foodie eye candy.
So while I’m not over the moon (or sun) about these darkish pictures, I do absolutely adore this cake. The bottom layer takes on a more cakey texture, unlike typical s’more bars, which are usually more compact
Proof of this is that I’ve made a pan of this vegan s’mores cake three times in the past two weeks. All pans were either given away or taken to gatherings, dispersing faster than I had anticipated. Desserts vanishing quickly at a gathering= best feeling ever. Also, when a dish is demanded to be a tradition at a family gathering, I’ve done my job! Trust me, not the pictures, this is beyond good, sun or not.
Oh yeah! While I was outside I snapped a few pictures of my potted garden. Wee jalapenos and tomatoes, plus a smattering of mint dominating the herb pot
Happy weekend, hope you aren’t melting where you are!
- For the cake layer:
- 1 1/2 cups graham crackers or teddy grahams
- 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup non dairy milk
- For the chocolate layer:
- 1 1/2 cups vegan chocolate chips
- For the marshmallow layer:
- 2 cups vegan marshmallows
- Preheat oven to 350 F. Grease 8×8 square pan and set aside.
- For the cake layer, crush graham crackers or teddy grahams in a blender or food processor until crumbs are formed. Add salt, flour, sugar and vanilla. Process together until thoroughly combined. Add non dairy milk, blend until batter comes together smoothly.
- Spread batter into pan. Bake for 15-20 minutes.
- Remove from oven and spread chocolate chips and marshmallows over top of cake.
- Bake for an additional 15 minutes, or until top is browned.