Well, the obsession with lemon desserts continues! Like I’ve mentioned before, I am HERE for everything chocolate, boozy, and sweet, but there is just something about lemon desserts that always keeps me coming back for another slice. Maybe it’s a mix of a sweet treat mixed with that tart tang of lemon, making me feel like I’m eating something refreshing and healthy-ish, even when it’s vegan lemon cake. Whatever it is, I’m not stopping anything soon, and if you are a lemon lover like me, you shouldn’t either. Fun fact: I used to suck on lemons as a child, so maybe that’s where my weird love for lemon comes from? Who knows!
This vegan lemon cake has been about 6 months in the making and I just happened to try it one more time this past weekend. Back before Thanksgiving, I spent a whole Saturday trying to nail down the recipe for this lemon cake, each time getting slightly closer, but not quite there. One cake turned out like a big pan of lemon curd, another was flat as a pancake, and the last one overflowed, thanks to my overzealous measuring of the baking soda. Lesson learned, sometimes you just need to let it be and come back to a recipe! I think sometimes I have such a stranglehold on making a recipe that I end up trying to make a square peg fit into a round hole at a certain point. I tried for these doughnuts three times in one weekend, each time getting even further away from what I wanted them to be. I eventually gave up, came back to them 2 weeks later, and they turned out on the first try. Sometimes you just have to go with the flow when it comes to baking!
I would watch your baking time on this vegan olive oil lemon cake very closely! I think I overbaked the last batch and it turned out slightly dry and crumbly. I kept mine right around 25 minutes and it was perfect, but check it at 20 minutes and go from there, your oven might run hotter than mine. Also, I think you could totally swap out the lemon for orange or grapefruit, whatever citrus tickles your fancy. I can’t attest to this, but I think a grapefruit version would be perfect for the winter!
A perfectly sweet and tart vegan lemon cake made with olive oil! Frosted with a powdered sugar glaze, this cake is bound to be your new favorite lemon dessert.
- 1 cup almond milk
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2-3 tablespoons lemon zest and juice (I used 1 large lemon, but this would equate to 2 small lemons too)
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
For the powdered sugar glaze:
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 3-4 tablespoons almond milk
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease an 8 or 9 inch round cake pan. Trace a parchment paper circle and line the bottom of the pan. Grease the parchment paper as well.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the almond milk, olive oil, vanilla, sugar and lemon juice/zest.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, cornstarch, baking soda, and salt. Transfer the flour mixture to the bowl with the almond milk mixture and whisk until batter is combined.
- Transfer batter to the greased cake pan and bake for 25 minutes, or until cake springs back when lightly touched.
- While cake is cooling, prepare the glaze. Whisk together the powdered sugar and almond milk in a small bowl. After cake has fully cooled (don’t do this while it’s still warm!), pour the glaze over the top of the cake.
- Serve. Store in a covered container for up to 5 days.