Vegan banana hazelnut pancakes are a perfect addition to your next brunch, just add coffee!
Banana pancakes hold a special place in my heart because were one of the first things my husband cooked for me when we started dating. He presented it as ‘his specialty’ and insisted that I had to try them next time I came over. Well, if his plan was to hook me in with his breakfast skills, he won, because dang, those pancakes were GOOD. If this guy can make breakfast, well, I guess I’m in (also, I convinced him to get a cat after he was a self proclaimed cat hater, so it’s all about compromise, right?)! After finding out that he liked to make pancakes and that I also loved brunch/breakfast, Sunday typically became our make-a-giant-breakfast-and-lay-around-the-house day, especially since it corresponded with the day that had the most football on in the fall and was the day we both had off together most of the time we were dating. They were the perfect, lazy Sundays that I now typically use for blogging things (and helped me tolerate an entire day of football) and figure out that we both love a good lazy day, especially when it involves vegan banana hazelnut pancakes. The two things I love the most, food and sharing it with someone you love, ALL the warm warm fuzzy feelings.
The base of this recipe comes from Cookie and Kate, who has mastered the art of the simple vegan pancake (she has an awesome vegan waffle recipe too!), so I won’t even try to mess with it at all. I’ve honestly struggled with getting pancakes just right for a while now, either burning them or having them come out soggy in the middle, but Kate’s recipe yields a perfect batch every time. I would recommend thoroughly mashing your banana so you don’t end up with lots of weird chunks that might turn the pancakes lumpy and soggy, I used a fork and it turned out perfectly. Also, don’t be like me and turn up your skillet way high before cooking because, somehow, in your head, that made sense, it doesn’t! Just keep it at medium/medium low and you will get that golden on the outside, fluffy on the inside texture that is the pancake holy grail.
Pancake recipe adapted from the lovely and talented Cookie and KatePrint
Vegan banana hazelnut pancakes are the perfect addition to your next weekend brunch! The best simple vegan pancakes studded with hazelnuts and banana.
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- Pinch of salt
- 1 cup almond milk
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil (affiliate link) (melted)
- 1 banana (mashed)
- 3 tablespoons coconut sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup finely chopped hazelnuts
- In a small bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, and salt, set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the almond milk, melted coconut oil (affiliate link), mashed banana, cane sugar, and vanilla extract until blended. Stir in the flour mixture, stirring until no flour remains. Fold in the hazelnuts and only mix until incorporated.
- Heat a cast iron skillet over medium low heat and grease lightly with coconut oil (affiliate link) or spray. Make sure the skillet is ready for cooking by dropping a bit of water on the skillet before cooking, if it sizzles, you are ready to go! Measure pancake batter out onto the skillet by 1/4 cup and cook until bubbles start to form on the edges and top of the pancakes, which should take 2-3 minutes. Flip pancakes and cook for an additional 2 minutes. Repeat cooking the pancakes until all the batter has been used, greasing the pan between batches.