A chocolate spiced version of the ultimate holiday cookie, vegan gingerbread gets a dark chocolate twist!
I’ll keep this one short and sweet, because Christmas is almost here and I know we all have presents to wrap/cookies to eat/hot chocolate to spike and there isn’t enough time for it all. As with years past, I’m creating a Christmas cookie recipe in partnership with my favorite vanilla and cocoa powder company, Rodelle. Rodelle has the absolute best vanilla extracts and cocoa powder that I’ve come across in the market, including homemade (because I’m impatient) versions. For this twist on vegan gingerbread cookies, I added a healthy dose of dark chocolate and a good amount of cocoa powder, giving them an even deeper amount of Christmas-y flavor. I personally don’t usually go for vegan gingerbread cookies, especially since they lack the usual chocolate, but this solves all of those problems! Chocolate to the rescue, always and forever.
A word to the wise, keep a close eye on these as they bake! My first batch came out a little too crispy, as I let them go in the oven for a few minutes too long. They should come out perfectly chewy and crisp, with a deep flavor of chocolate and the subtle bite of ginger. I hope you incorporate these into any of your last minute baking plans, they are well having just a few too many cookies at your Christmas table. Enjoy the holidays and spend as much time as possible soaking up family, friends, and lots of food! I’m going to take a bit of a pause next week to wrap up some end of year projects, but I’ll be back in the new year with a slew of new dessert recipes, and a few healthy ones too.
Adapted from The Kitchn
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch + 2 tablespoons water
- ¼ cup coconut oil, solid
- 2 ounces dark chocolate, chopped
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup coconut sugar
- ¼ cup cane sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Line 2 cookie sheets with parchment paper and set aside.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the cornstarch and water. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, cocoa powder, ginger, cinnamon, baking soda, and salt.
- In another small, microwave safe bowl, combine the chopped dark chocolate and coconut oil. Microwave for 30 seconds -1 minute, until coconut oil is melted and mixture can easily be whisked smooth.
- In a large bowl, stir together the coconut sugar, cane sugar, and vanilla extract until combined. Add the melted chocolate and cornstarch mixture, stir until combined. Fold in the flour mixture until no streaks remain.
- Using a cookie scoop that is about a tablespoon in size, scoop out the batter onto the prepared cookie sheets, spacing cookies at least an inch and a half apart. Place 6 cookies on each sheet.
- Bake for 12-14 minutes, keeping a close eye on the edges of the cookies. As a general rule, it's always better to underbake!
- Remove from oven and allow to cool before serving.