These vegan banana chocolate waffles were a last minute, “I’m going to shoot this!” post so forgive me for the simple pictures, but sometimes, the less propped they are, the more I like them! Simple is the name of the game, in both the pictures and the waffles. Let’swaffle!
In searching for a breakfast recipe, Naturally Ella came to mind. Her photos and words are always beautiful and her recipes so easily accessible and adaptable. Between the seasonal touch and clean beauty of her recipes, this girl knows where it’s at when it comes to breakfast.
Frozen bananas are always hanging around in my freezer, begging to be blended or mashed into recipes at a moment’s notice. But I was overflowing with these mushy guys, so I needed a banana solution, fast! Enter these lovely, crunchy waffles. I find that oftentimes, when I’ve tried to add bananas to waffles, the resulting waffles are gummy on the inside (yuck!) and limp on the outside. Far from my ideal breakfast waffle that dreams are made of.
Mashing the banana thoroughly is the key to ensuring that you don’t end up with chunks of gummy banana surprises in the crevices of your waffles. Whipping your bananas in the blender (affiliate link) would be even better, no nasty chunks, guaranteed! I turned up my waffle iron to the 4 setting for these waffles, guaranteeing that outside stays crispy without too much additional oil. Just make sure to keep an eye on the waffle iron, ensuring they don’t burn.
My other favorite quality of these waffles? They didn’t need a lot of extra toppings to make them extraordinary. Butter and syrup are the name of the game here, nothing else needed.
- 1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 1/2 cups non dairy milk (I used almond)
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
- 2 bananas (mashed or blended in a small bowl)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup non dairy chocolate chips
- Preheat waffle iron on medium to medium high setting. Spray lightly with non stick spray.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, salt, sugar and non dairy milk. Continue whisking and add orange juice, vanilla and bananas, ensuring that the mixture is thoroughly whisked and blended. Stir in chocolate chips.
- Prepare waffles in waffle iron, scooping out by 1/3 cups.