The week of Christmas is finally upon us! While I finally just wrapped my gifts over the weekend and still have lots of wedding thank-you notes to write, I’m still going to squeeze in one more cookie recipe for you. Growing up, Christmas was always about making the cookies that would be put out for Santa on Christmas day. My dad would always make the icing and my mom would kind of just let us have free rein over the kitchen, just hoping that we did the dishes and didn’t make a disaster in the meantime. This year, I hope to still get some cookie making time in with my dad, but I’ve been cranking out these cashew based cookies a few times over the past few weeks for practice.
I hadn’t really thought about using cashew butter for a cookie base, but after seeing Tessa’s cookie recipe that used hazelnut butter for a base, I knew I had to try it out with cashews. The resulting cookie is on the heartier side, has coconut and chocolate chips folded in and uses cocoa powder (the good stuff!) to add another layer of chocolate to the cookies. I created this recipe to be a part of Rodelle’s 21 Days of Cookies so if you need to cram in a lot of cookie baking this week, I have the place for you! I’ll keep this post short because the days are long, but the holidays always seem to streak by in a flash. Soak up time with friends and family and eat lots of cookies friends!
Cashew butter based vegan cookies with a heaping dose of chocolate and coconut! (Vegan)
- 1 1/2 cups raw cashews
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1/4 cup coconut oil (melted)
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 2 tablespoons flaked coconut
- 1 3 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spread the cashews on a rimmed baking sheet and toast for 10 minutes. After the cashews have been toasted, place the cashews and olive oil into a high speed blender and blend until a smooth cashew butter has been formed. This may take a little bit of time, so be patient!
- After the butter has been made, stir together the cashew butter with the flour, salt, brown sugar, melted coconut oil, maple syrup, vanilla, and cocoa powder. Fold in the coconut and chocolate chips.
- Scoop onto a lined baking sheet by the tablespoon and bake for 10-12 minutes. Don’t overbake the cookies or they will become crumbly!