It’s absolutely NO secret that if you’re in the Midwest in the summertime, cherry is the name of the game! Vegan cherry crumble bars are the PERFECT combo of sweet, crunchy, easy, and packed full of cherry goodness. Kind of like vegan cherry pie, but in a much easier to make and eat crumble bar form!
This post is sponsored by One Degree Organics. Thanks for supporting the brands that make this space possible!
If there’s one thing that I will NEVER ever quit doing in the summer..it’s baking! It might be 95 degrees out and 80 degrees in our very old, but very cute house and I’m still going to be cranking up the oven to make pizza on Friday nights and bake cookies as an after dinner treat. Thankfully, we’ve lucked out with a pretty amazing weather streak right now, but I would still 100% turn on the oven to make these super quick and easy vegan cherry crumble bars. I actually set aside an hour or so to make these, thinking for some reason that they would take SO much longer than they did, but they came together in 30 minutes and baked while I made dinner. So, if you can have the flavor and delicious factor of a good cherry pie or crisp, without all the work…why WOULDN’T you make it?!
I think one of the BEST things about these cherry crumble bars is that they are downright EASY. There are pretty much 5 main ingredients, plus the jam can be swapped out for whatever you happen to have on hand. I just came back from a trip to Door County with ALL the cherry flavored things, so I needed to put the massive jar of jam I have to good use. Crumble bars to the rescue! Also, who else takes FOREVER to go through a jar of jam?! I literally just finished the one I brought home last year. Does that mean I need to make more toast? Or does it actually mean I just need to make more crumble bars?
Let’s get down to recipe details! While this is a pretty easy recipe, I wouldn’t change it one bit! I haven’t tried it with gluten-free flour at all, so I’m not sure if it would work, but I’m sure there is a combination of almond flour and coconut flour that would create the same texture that the gluten-filled version does. I also was really doubtful about the amount of time the bars bake for, thinking it would be too long, but it’s actually the PERFECT amount of time. Baking for 50 minutes allows the crust and topping to get firm enough while making the jam filling melty, gooey, and perfect. I also 10000% recommend lining your pan with parchment paper because the sides of the bars get sticky and you might never get them out if you are digging them out of the pan!
One of the BEST things about making these cherry crumble bars vegan is that they aren’t that different from a regular crumble bar recipe. I replaced the butter with olive oil and voila, that’s it! This recipe is kind of one of those could be breakfast or could be dessert kind of things, so I think it’s totally acceptable to kick your day off with one of these or plop a scoop of vanilla ice cream on top (warm up the bar first, for maximum delicious factor) and call it dessert!
Vegan cherry crumble bars are the PERFECT combo of sweet, crunchy, easy, and packed full of cherry goodness. Kind of like vegan cherry pie, but in a much easier to make and eat crumble bar form!
- 3/4 cup whole wheat flour
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups One Degree Organics Sprouted Rolled Oats
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup + 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup cherry jam
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Line a 8×8 or 9×9 square pan with parchment paper and grease lightly. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, stir together the whole wheat flour, all-purpose flour, oats, sugar, maple syrup, cinnamon, and olive oil. Stir until combined and no flour streaks remain.
- Take half of the mixture and press firmly it into the bottom of the prepared pan. Spread the cherry jam on top of the crust and spread evenly, all the way to the edges of the crust.
- Sprinkle the rest of the crumble mixture over the top of the jam, until all has been used.
- Bake for 50 minutes, or until jam is bubbly and top is golden brown.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool for at least 30 minutes before cutting.
- Make sure you allow the bars to cool before cutting! If you cut too soon, they will be too warm and fall apart!
Keywords: cherry, crumble, vegan dessert, cherry crumble