Even though we are leading up to peak pie season soon (hello my favorite eating holiday!), I wanted to squeeze in one savory recipe before Thanksgiving is here! This was a pretty throw together, off the cuff vegan carrot potato soup recipe, but I knew I had to share it. I’m actually not that great at throwing together savory or dinner recipes, it seems like I can never get it quite right. With brownies or cookies, I kind of always know if they are going to work or turn out, just by looking at the dough or seeing how they come out of the oven. I also tend to like the hands off time of ‘well I can’t do anything now!’, so savory cooking recipes are more of a challenge for me since I can see it before my eyes if it’s ending up as a disaster. Luckily, this spicy carrot potato soup was a quick and easy dinner win!
I originally started off by wanting to make a batch of potato soup for dinner but spotted a big bag of carrots wilting away in the fridge earlier this week. Knowing that carrots and potatoes tend to cook at around the same temperature (good for avoiding the mushy vs too crunchy veggie cooking issue), I thought it would be worth trying to incorporate them into a soup together. Turns out, they play really well together and can make for a lovely creamy vegan soup, with no cashews or cream needed. A quick half cup of almond milk and blending half the soup does the trick in making for that perfect creamy/chunky texture that I personally think is soup mecca.
Bonus tip on this vegan carrot potato soup, it would be super easy to whip up as an appetizer to your Thanksgiving or Friendsgiving menu! I think it’s just hearty enough to keep everyone from getting hangry, but not so filling that they won’t be able to load up on all the mashed potatoes and stuffing. I also tend to think that this is a perfect clean-out-the-cabinets soup too since I almost always have all these ingredients on hand. Either way, this soup is easy, creamy, and super cozy feeling for all the fall weather that is coming!Print
A super easy and creamy spicy vegan carrot potato soup! Packed full of veggies and comes together in under 30 minutes. Gluten and soy free.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 large carrots, halved and chopped
- 2 large potatoes
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Pinch black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 2 1/2 cups vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup almond milk or other non dairy milk
- Heat the olive oil a large pot or dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add the onion, garlic, carrots, and potatoes. Saute for 10 minutes, until the veggies are tender.
- Add the salt, black pepper, chili powder, paprika, and vegetable broth. Bring to a boil and then reduce heat to medium. Simmer for 15- 20 minutes, until potatoes can be pierced easily with a fork.
- Transfer half of the soup to a blender. Add the almond milk and blend for 30 seconds, or until mixture is smooth.
- Add blended soup back into the pot and season with more salt/pepper, to taste. Serve with sriracha or hot sauce of your choice.
- Serving Size: 1 cup
- Calories: 151
- Sugar: 3
- Sodium: 59
- Fat: 7
- Carbohydrates: 21
- Protein: 3