It’s popcorn week! I’m taking part in popcorn week with a bunch of other bloggers and we are doing sweet/savory/popcorn in every form. There’s a sweet giveaway at the end, so don’t forget to check that out at the bottom. Anywho, I have to admit that I kept putting this recipe off because I had no idea what to make. Did I want to go sweet? Savory? Something totally different? I thought about doing some kind of basil/garlic popcorn recipe, but as it turns out, I used all my basil when I was making a vinaigrette and accidentally also used some mint in that vinaigrette too, blegh. My mind was onto sweet popcorn recipes after that and when I realized I had a few sad almonds in my cabinets and a lot of shredded coconut, the almond joy popcorn was born!
This is one of the easiest recipes I threw together, especially since I discovered that you can pop the popcorn in the microwave without any oil (!!) and then spread it out, top it with chocolate and go to town with chopped almonds and shredded coconut. Now, let’s talk about the microwave popping thing for a second. I discovered this method a while ago, after my dad told me about trying it out. I like the idea of making popping popcorn super fast and easy, plus a bit healthier, so I tried it out. It totally worked! But, since I was popping a bigger batch of popcorn for this recipe, I didn’t think about the fact that the plastic lid I was using to cover the bowl would be heated for so long that it might MELT. Yep, I melted a plastic lid into a bowl of popcorn and it was a total mess. Thankfully, the bowl ended up being totally fine and it all cleaned up pretty easily, but still, you’ve been warned.
I recommend using dark chocolate here, especially since there are so few ingredients and it’s really the main sweetness factor going on. Another fair warning, watch out for un-popped kernels in your popcorn. I crunched down on a bite or two, thinking I had an almond bit, and it ended up being a kernel, ouch. I would just sift through the popcorn as you pop it, making sure you catch them all before drizzling the chocolate on top. This stores well in the freezer and would probably keep for about a week. Although, at the rate I’m going, this stuff isn’t going to make it much past the weekend!
You may also like:
- ⅓ cup popcorn kernels
- 1 cup dark chocolate
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- ⅓ cup chopped almonds
- 1 cup shredded sweetened coconut
- In a large, microwave safe bowl, place half of the kernels and top with a plate or plastic lid. Microwave the popcorn until popped, which will depend on your microwave (Mine took 2-3 minutes). Pop the other half of the kernels and lay out all of your popped corn onto a wax lined, rimmed baking sheet. Set aside.
- In a small microwave safe bowl, melt together the dark chocolate and coconut oil. For me, this took about 2 minutes, but keep an eye on it! Drizzle the melted chocolate over your popcorn and sprinkle with chopped almonds and coconut. Freeze to make the chocolate drizzle solid.
Don’t forget to check out the giveaway below!
We’re giving away a big movie night prize pack that’s worth more than $115! See the Rafflecopter below to enter to win this amazing set. The prize pack includes:
- A West Bend Professional On-Demand Hot-Air Popcorn Popper // $80 value
- Two 27-ounce bags Bob’s Red Mill White Popcorn Kernels // $7.38 value
- Two 27-ounce bags Bob’s Red Mill Yellow Popcorn Kernels // $7.78 value
- One 8-ounce jar Cabot Cheddar Cheese Shake // $6.95 value
- And a $15 gift card to Amazon.com!
- Enter the giveaway through the Rafflecopter widget below. Everyone gets a free entry! You can enter multiple times, up to 18 additional entries by following the giveaway sponsors on social media. (If you’ve followed in the past, that counts! Just enter the info as prompted.) All entries will be verified. No purchase is necessary to win.
- The giveaway is open until Friday, July 17, 2015 at 10 a.m. EST. One winner will be chosen at random and emailed within 48 hours. Winners must claim prize within 48 hours of initial contact. The retail value of the prize is $117. Prizes shown in the graphic are the only ones available.
- Open to U.S. residents with a valid shipping address only. Must be 18 years of age as of July 6, 2015.